New to Malibu area

Baytubers is a private online community of kayak fishermen. Please say "hi" and tell us a little bit about yourself.
NEW MEMBERS: INTRODUCE YOURSELVES HERE FOR MEMBERSHIP APPROVAL.
Booradley5500

New to Malibu area

Post by Booradley5500 »

Hey everyone, names Ryan just moved to Malibu area and looking to gets some tips on areas to take the kayak out, grew up on the East Coast kayak fishing but just getting started out here...hoping to target halibut more than anything...yellowtail too but not sure they’re up this far north but heard maybe county line? Just looking for some generals areas to patrol and check out!
theluckypig

Re: New to Malibu area

Post by theluckypig »

Welcome Ryan! we are a little quieter group these days, but there are still plenty of old timers here that can answer pretty much any questions you might have. There are some guys that fish county line in this group... I mostly fish Redondo and Cabrillo. if you find your way down this way, let me know and maybe we can make the rounds...

James
Bellcon

Post by Bellcon »

Welcome to Baytubers Ryan
you should have access to the entire site now correct?
if not let me know
we have a couple Malibu guys here... but Malibu is a tough place to get info on :mrgreen:
Like James said make your way south and you will find those halibut and have plenty of help

what do you say Phil? 8-)
HuntersPa

Post by HuntersPa »

Welcome! Been donkeys years since I fished the bu. Look through old posts and you should be able to gather enough intel the figure out where to launch. Also make sure you know where is closed to fishing

Start posting!
philharris

Post by philharris »

Bellcon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:12 pm we have a couple Malibu guys here... but Malibu is a tough place to get info on :mrgreen:
what do you say Phil? 8-)
people are funny...they think the guys that fish the bu are hiding fish...it's not about fish...
you can find the same fish from san diego to santa barbara...

it's about parking...

north L.A. is just cliffs with small trails to most beaches...which means just parking on
the highway next to that trail or stair to the beach...
if u don't get there before the surfers...divers...soccer moms...shore fishermen...
'n' now hoards of internet yakkers... u ain't fishin'...

if yer after yellowtail...go to diego...they gott'um year round...

if ya want halibut...go anywhere...good luck finding those swine rat bastards...
their the hardest fish to hunt for in my opinion...
"thou your ship be sturdy...no mercy has the sea...will you survive on the ocean of being"...~peter gabriel
Booradley5500

Post by Booradley5500 »

Thanks guys, I’m definitely down to drive to redondo or wherever to meet up if anyone is down, went to Leo Carrillo this weekend, was real quiet not many fish then they bit for about 30 mins. Caught 3 small and one about 17 inches (gave a good fight especially trying to wrangle it from the kelp). Was tough launch though for sure!