6/25/16 Baytubers MBF Cabrillo Beach Results

Check here for upcoming tournament dates and past results.
Dee84cali

Re: 6/26/16 Baytubers MBF Cabrillo Beach Results

Post by Dee84cali »

Awesome pics! I need to really join one of these functions!
Starsky

Post by Starsky »

Here is a short vid of some of my only action today. Making bait with Tony's Sabiki 500:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHGvbQ6Dsd8 ... CMr0HyWA0/
-Sal
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

The title confuses me
Did you guys fish today in tomorrow's tournament?
:? :mrgreen:
jeepleo

Re: 6/25/16 Baytubers MBF Cabrillo Beach Results

Post by jeepleo »

Fishing was rough but it was great hanging out with you guys. I'm definitely looking forward to next time. Hopefully we can ditch the skunk and dole out some cash. That drive home was rough. Traffic and the heat were brutal.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Starsky wrote:Here is a short vid of some of my only action today. Making bait with Tony's Sabiki 500:

Just a little tip: If you can get your bait straight into the bait tank and not let them hit the deck or grabbed with your hands, they will have a higher survival rate due to less slime coat and scale loss.
Starsky

Post by Starsky »

IN2DEEP wrote:
Starsky wrote:Here is a short vid of some of my only action today. Making bait with Tony's Sabiki 500:

Just a little tip: If you can get your bait straight into the bait tank and not let them hit the deck or grabbed with your hands, they will have a higher survival rate due to less slime coat and scale loss.
Thanks for the tip, was thinking of reducing the amount of hooks also to make it more manageable to do that. The bait did last all day though. None of them even got raked! They all swam away alive by the end of the day..
-Sal
jorluivil

Post by jorluivil »

IN2DEEP wrote:

au contraire mon frère.............I always drop my bait on the deck and have and will leave them there flopping around, I would say they can be on the deck for as long as 2-3 minutes, sometimes longer. I usually catch a few(handful or so), grab them with my hand or bait net(if I catch reach them) and drop them in tank..........its safe to say that 90% of the time I use my hands. I rarely have bait that turns on me, if I had to guess what amount turns on me I would say its about 1-2 each trip.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the slime is an important part of the fishes survival but I doubt and can honestly say that grabbing them with your hand or gloves will result in a higher mortality rate.
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

IN2DEEP wrote:

yeah, yah, ya... the sabiki 500 works... but for superior bait, the only real choice is the googan 1.0... (or the googan 1.1 glow series for night ops...)

now that said, like jorge, i've always let the bait hit the deck... how would you do it otherwise? i know there are debaiting tools (i have one that i don't use), but it would seems very difficult to use putting bait into your bait tank when you have five pieces flip-flopping around... i've also been told that using cooking tongs for handling bait makes it easier and less slimy for you and less desliming for the bait... but i don't use that either... anyhow, i haven't noticed any significant issues to the bait by letting it bounce on the deck for a few moments... my $0.02
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

Thanks for the report guys... sounds like fun... even though nobody bagged a flattie for the $$$ pot.

Would've liked to have joined you all... but my timing sucks right now. Getting ready to head to Japan for a family vacation next weekend and lots to button up here before we go. I'll be ready to FISH when I get back though!

Tight lines!

- Ken
K. Nowicki
Bozeman, MT
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Bellcon

Post by Bellcon »

Hmmmmm

A bait debate
My 2 Centavos?
If you want the most primo bait? do what Sal says and keep the handling of your bait to an absolute minimum. I know a few guys who have mastered the technique of dropping baits straight from the sabiki to the tank.

BUT

In the real world?
I am more in Jorges camp. I get those baits over the rail asap and throw them in the tank by hand. I don't let them flop around too long (I freaking hate when they go under the PA seat :twisted: :lol:) but I never bother trying to go directly to the tank. Since I dont use an "un-hooking" tool I grab them by hand 1 by 1 and drop them in the tank, unless of course they fall off on to the deck then like Jorge said its hand or net time.

macks and spanish can handle the abuse a lot more than say sardines, and if we are talking squid? I always just dump them on deck and get my jig down as fast as possible to load up again.

I may have to try one of those un-hooking tools... then I my technique would probably be exactly like Jorges...
probably get spined less often too, damn those things hurt, especially when they get infected :evil:

If one of us doesnt catch a halibut during a tourney soon we may have to have a "master-baiters" tourney, biggest most lively baiter wins