New Kayak Angler here

Baytubers is a private online community of kayak fishermen. Please say "hi" and tell us a little bit about yourself.
NEW MEMBERS: INTRODUCE YOURSELVES HERE FOR MEMBERSHIP APPROVAL.
Ivanrat

New Kayak Angler here

Post by Ivanrat »

Hi,

Ivan here, I've been fishing for years from boats and surf fishing and now I'm hooked on kayaking and what a better way than to enjoy my previous passion for fishing now while kayaking. Fairly new to the skill, I just purchased my yak a little over a month ago and I'm trying to find spots and places to venture to. I'm based in Oxnard, CA.

Thank you for letting me enjoy your forum.

Ivanrat
theluckypig

Re: New Kayak Angler here

Post by theluckypig »

hi ivanrat,

welcome! if you can, join us for the $5 mbf (money between friends) halibut tournament at cabrillo beach on the 19th... cabrillo is a great place to get comfortable with your new kayak... there's a sign up page in the tournaments section. and if you can't make that one, they're monthly, so make it when you can...

fyi, make sure to have the basics for kayak fishing safety... a vhf is essential for obvious reasons, but it is usually great entertainment during tournament days...

james "theluckypig"
Slayersmith

Post by Slayersmith »

Welcome to the form!

What kayak did you buy?
dpliska

Post by dpliska »

Welcome Ivan. I'm not familiar with the Oxnard area but I'm sure you can find a few that are on this site. Welcome aboard
Ivanrat

Post by Ivanrat »

Slayersmith wrote:Welcome to the form!

What kayak did you buy?
I got the Malibu Kayaks Trio 11
Ivanrat

Post by Ivanrat »

dpliska wrote:Welcome Ivan. I'm not familiar with the Oxnard area but I'm sure you can find a few that are on this site. Welcome aboard
Thank you,
Ivanrat

Post by Ivanrat »

theluckypig wrote:hi ivanrat,

welcome! if you can, join us for the $5 mbf (money between friends) halibut tournament at cabrillo beach on the 19th... cabrillo is a great place to get comfortable with your new kayak... there's a sign up page in the tournaments section. and if you can't make that one, they're monthly, so make it when you can...

fyi, make sure to have the basics for kayak fishing safety... a vhf is essential for obvious reasons, but it is usually great entertainment during tournament days...

james "theluckypig"
I will try to make it my work schedule is only 1 week in advance so I'm at the mercy of the man!
What vhf radio would you recommend?
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

Ivanrat wrote:What vhf radio would you recommend?
as "gregandrew" had mentioned in another post: get one from West Marine that is waterproof, floats, and pay the extra for an extended warranty... take if from the old guard, they know!

see you on the water...
Slayersmith

Post by Slayersmith »

Trio 11 looks like a good boat to go thru the surf with. Should be a good boat for you in the Oxnard/Malibu area. Good luck git sum!