BAYTUBERS MBF 1/21/18 CABRILLO BEACH

Check here for upcoming tournament dates and past results.
AndyACE

Re: BAYTUBERS MBF 1/21/18 CABRILLO BEACH

Post by AndyACE »

Good stuff Don. One of my best days at Cabrillo was with squid from barge in the winter. Hopefully the have some.
jhernandez

Post by jhernandez »

Bellcon wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm
jhernandez wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm its going to be my first time fishing Cabrillo for Halibut any tips or recommended tackle to bring??

Ill bring some doughnuts
I almost always use live bait when fishing for the butts, I have had some luck at Cabrillo throwing plastics.
Most of my "Halibut rods" are 12-25lb, with some back bone and a tip that can handle the head shakes.
I use 20 and 30 size reels, most are filled with spectra and I use various lengths of mono leaders.
I fish a lot of drop shot wired rigs and also always have some type of 3 way rig set up.
I have no problem fishing 30 and 40 pound leaders on the drop shot especially in Cabrillos dark water.
I will go lighter on the 3 way rig for the bait leader.
I bring torpedo sinkers from 4oz up to 10oz using 6 and 8 the most depending upon depth and current.

Back in the day we almost all bought bait at the bait barge, 20+ guys lined up at times. Now a lot of guys make their own bait, Macks, smelt, brown baits and lizard fish... they all work and can all be found with some effort most the time.
They will probably have live squid at the barge, might have to give that a try, it can be killer if you find hungry fish. They will also have sardines which have always been a good halibut bait.

Not a lot of guys signed up for this MBF but who the people that have signed up are some damn good halibut hunters and great people, don't hesitate to ask questions and check out set ups.
I will bring an extra drop shot rig if you want to try it, just let me know.

hope that helps
ask away if you need more info or have any more questions
Thanks for the info, I feel I definitely have all the wrong gear for Halibut and all my salt rods might be to light but will see, this is definitely going to be a learning experience for me, Cant wait.
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

see you all sunday!
Bellcon

Post by Bellcon »

FYI
Bait barge has sardines only
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

Won't be able to make it this time guys... but GOOD LUCK! Go get some Flatties!

- Ken
K. Nowicki
Bozeman, MT
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
jhernandez

Post by jhernandez »

Had a blast with all the baytubers member for the first time going out with them they are all extremely welcoming, cant wait for the next one.
AndyACE

Post by AndyACE »

Good meeting you John. Too bad the fish didn’t cooperate. Had not had a a Cabrillo strike out in a long time. Other than that it was great day!
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

it was fun! john good to meet you! let's do it again next month... dana point or redondo, did we decide? i'll throw out the date: sunday 02/21/18, does that work? i'll vote dana point..
Bellcon

Post by Bellcon »

That was a good time
looking forward to the next one

maybe 2 halibut bites for me all day and a couple of sand bastards... one of which was foul hooked and had me thinking halibut for a moment :roll:

Good meeting you John, look forward to sharing the water again soon...see Baytubers ain't so bad :mrgreen:

Pino, bummer you couldn't make it for the fishing but thanks for coming by with the pizza :mrgreen:
and good to see you and the BIG boy Grego, next time you need to launch with us... you remember how right?

I could not believe how glassy the conditions were, it had been windy all week in Pedro
Conditions don't get much better then we had 8-)

GLASS all the way in...

theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

how about Sunday, February 18th, Redondo? :D