2016 Mission Bay Classic... 4/16/16

Check here for upcoming tournament dates and past results.
CbadMike

2016 Mission Bay Classic... 4/16/16

Post by CbadMike »

The 2016 Mission Bay Classic is right around the corner

On Saturday April 16th OEX will be hosting this annual tournament that benefits the Southern California Chapter of HEROES ON THE WATER.
With two species divisions and a larger boundary area, this year's tournament is going to be the best one yet!
The entry fee is only $25.00 and goes to an awesome cause.
Please visit:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... hp?t=27364
For more details and sign up information.

The raffle is always huge and is still growing.
A partial list of sponsors donating for this great cause include:
OEX
Coca-Cola
Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Hobie
Malibu Kayaks
Aqua Bound
Werner Paddles
YakAttack
OnTarget Shooting Range
ORION Coolers
NRS
Promar
Danuu
Everingham Bros. Bait Company
Kayak Pro Wraps. Com

The Southern California Chapter of HEROES ON THE WATER is a chapter of a national non profit organization that takes disabled veterans kayak fishing to aid in their physical and mental recovery. It is a simple concept that really helps make a difference to our wounded military men and women as they transition themselves back into the community.
The Southern California Chapter is a self sufficient chapter, which means it does not receive any funds from the national organization. It provides its monthly events with funds raised locally like from the Mission Bay Classic.
The Southern California Chapter is run and managed by volunteers who love what they do.
If you have any questions please visit the SoCal HEROES ON THE WATER Facebook page or send an email to Socal@heroesonthewater.org.
Last edited by Bellcon on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fix date make sticky
Bellcon

Re: 2016 Mission Bay Classic... 2/16

Post by Bellcon »

Just signed up
Thanks Mike
tacmik

Re: 2016 Mission Bay Classic... 4/16/16

Post by tacmik »

Next Saturday. Can't wait. Good times to be had for all and for a great cause.
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

it was a great time! the food (by jim and jorge) was outstanding! fishing was slow, but i'd recommend it to everyone...
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

Laid an air mattress in the bed of my truck and got hit by sprinklers at ~230AM. Only fish for the day was a barracuda. Regret not going out the harbor.
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

jruiz wrote:Regret not going out the harbor.
don't... obviously the guys that went out got nothing... and it really was rough out there... a lot of energy spent getting out and in... i had a raked bait in the channel, fished the area for an hour for nothing else...
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

theluckypig wrote:
jruiz wrote:Regret not going out the harbor.
don't... obviously the guys that went out got nothing... and it really was rough out there... a lot of energy spent getting out and in... i had a raked bait in the channel, fished the area for an hour for nothing else...
I went out to the end of the channel I guess around 11:00 AM (should've went out much earlier)... It was like a washing machine out there, but there were a handful of other guys out there fishing also. One of my first drops I got this "short" guy, he gave me quite a little battle for such a little dude (18.5") but it was my first California Halibut on my kayak so was nice to get the skunk off. (released unharmed of course)

I launched at the boat ramp cause I had my yak on my trailer, but ran a little late... didn't get on the water until about 7:45 AM. Made a few pieces of bait at the mouth of Quivara Basin. Had a Grn. Mack. Krocadile on the end of my sabiki as a weight. On my second drop, something RIPPED it off my stick... whole sabiki gone except for the swivel. Dang! Didn't have a spare, so used the baits I had and fished near the bait barge for nada. Bought a scoop and headed up the channel. On my return had two lines out... this 'dine got bit hard as I was coming back inside.

Wind was picking up and it was a slow slog back to Santa Clara Point... seemed SO much longer going back than going out in the morning... Ha! Next year I'll plan a bit better, as I missed the festivities by the time I got my yak loaded and strapped down and put everything away... just breaking up as I got over to OEX.

Was a great time though, and fun to fish with everyone. Looking forward to doing it again!
K. Nowicki
Bozeman, MT
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

nice job... that legal butt is coming...
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

theluckypig wrote:nice job... that legal butt is coming...
Thanks! I sure hope so! :)

- Ken
K. Nowicki
Bozeman, MT
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Starsky

Post by Starsky »

FishTaco wrote:
theluckypig wrote:nice job... that legal butt is coming...
Thanks! I sure hope so! :)

- Ken
Good Job out there Ken, 4 more inches and you would have been the Hali champ. It was also nice catching up with you Friday night.

James, didnt even see ya?
-Sal