BAYTUBERS MBF 3/19/16 CABRILLO BEACH

Check here for upcoming tournament dates and past results.
pino

Re: BAYTUBERS MBF 3/19/16 CABRILLO BEACH

Post by pino »

yea about time we got something going,yes sir I AM IN :D
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

pino wrote:yea about time we got something going,yes sir I AM IN :D
Pino!!! old school...
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

So yeah... I posted a similar comment on BWE earlier today... but thought I'd also go to the source...

I'm still relatively new to this area, and am wanting to learn more about targeting halibut from Cabrillo's launch (as well as out of the harbor at Redondo, but that's another thread for another day)... and this tournament pops up and I'm thinking "this'd be a great opportunity to get to know the area a little better from the guys that fish it a lot" but then I read the Baytuber rules and see that motorized kayaks are not allowed in the tournament. Bummer. I use a BassYaks trolling motor on my Malibu Stealth 14 so was kind of disappointed to see that. I'm not really interested in the winnings during the tournament, but am more interested in making connections with other kayak fisherman in the area, having some fun, and learning more about the ins and outs of targeting halibut inside the harbor as well as getting to know what it's like kayak fishing from this area.

I'd be glad to toss in my $5.00 just to join in and fish with the group and maybe pick-up some tips along the way... Yeah, yeah... like one poster said on BWE... I could "just show up and start fishing"... but I don't want it to be awkward either. And yeah, I'm expecting to be given some sh*t for using a trolling motor... I don't care what others think... I had it rigged this way for "stemming the tide" mostly when I used to fish the Long Island Sound before moving back to SoCal a few years ago.

Anyway, if the organizers might consider it... I'd love to join in. Like I said, I'm not interested in winning any money... just want to gain experience and learn. I'm happy to contribute if there's a potluck, or someone needs me to bring donuts, or a 6-pack or two, or whatever... just let me know.

Thanks in advance for your consideration...

- Ken
K. Nowicki
Bozeman, MT
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
HuntersPa

Post by HuntersPa »

FishTaco,

Just show up and fish. Yes, you will most likely be given some good natured crap about the motor. Others have them as well. If that means you can't compete then you can't compete, but you can still show up. How much info the "pros" give up will be directly related to how well you take the ribbing.

Bring your thick skin and you will be fine
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

HuntersPa wrote:FishTaco,

Just show up and fish. Yes, you will most likely be given some good natured crap about the motor. Others have them as well. If that means you can't compete then you can't compete, but you can still show up. How much info the "pros" give up will be directly related to how well you take the ribbing.

Bring your thick skin and you will be fine
"yup"!

and btw, many of us love the competition and are serious about winning... but honestly, its the fun that we love the most... and the guys on this site taught plenty of guys like me, with little to no experience on the ocean, or any real fishing background, to kayak fish safely and responsibly... and even to win a tournament or two... :mrgreen:

oh, and don, if you would, please clean up my "kookiness"... would you please delete all my "tournament notifications" on the other sections... sorry :lol:
Slayersmith

Post by Slayersmith »

Just show up, your all good!!! 5 bucks between friends no stress!
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

don will you add Sandy Beach, greg and tony (tentatively)... and the more the merrier!
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

info for the newer folks:

the launch area is in the top part of the illustration. we park near the launch, you'll see lines of kayakers in the morning...

also keep your head on a swivel in the harbor... be ready for private boaters zooming by and the sudden wake they create... and steer clear of the shipping lanes, those ships are moving a lot faster than they appear... best to have a vhf radio on channel 69 to stay in contact with the herd...
Starsky

Post by Starsky »

Will probably be joining you guys, is it a boat launch? Thanks
-Sal
theluckypig

Post by theluckypig »

yes, there is a boat launch. we try to stay to the left of the boat traffic... follow the herd...